Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Never Say Die, Big J

The Big J's big day.
(Image via InterAKTV/Paolo Papa)
(Rey Moralde of TheNoLookPass.com will take over for this post as he pays tribute to the PBA's legendary player, "The Big J" Robert Jaworski.)

Hello. My name is Rey Moralde and I am an NBA blogger that lives in Southern California. I founded TheNoLookPass.Com and am a contributor to ForumBlueAndGold.Com, the Laker blog that's part of ESPN's TrueHoop Network.

Roy had asked me to do this piece about someone that was important to my love for the game of basketball. That someone? Robert Jaworski. Jaworski's jersey was retired a couple of days ago and I don't know why it took the Philippine Basketball Association this long to retire his number.

While I talk about the NBA and confess to not keeping up with the PBA, the PBA was actually one of the reasons why I love and write about the game of basketball. Yes, I am a Filipino-American and I spent six years of my childhood in the Philippines. I can't remember how or what exactly gravitated me to the Philippine Basketball Association but it became an instant addiction once I started watching the games on TV (at the old Channel 4). It would be rare for me to miss the Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday doubleheaders. The team I ended up liking? Ginebra San Miguel (which became Anejo at one point and now, I believe, they are Barangay Ginebra).

It was the athletic prowess of Billy Ray Bates and the skills of Michael Hackett that initially attracted me to Ginebra San Miguel. But for some reason, it took me a bit to notice player/coach Robert "Sonny" Jaworski. I always heard from people about his fantastic point guard skills, most notably his behind-the-back passes. Finally, there was one game that really caught my attention.

I was pretty sure it was one of those non-All-Filipino conferences but Ginebra was down big (I think around 20 points in the first half) against my brother's favorite team, San Miguel Beer. Jaworski took the game into his own hands. I remember him making shot after shot behind the arc and none of us could believe this was happening. Ginebra tied the game against the Beermen purely from Jaworski's shooting. Ginebra would eventually fall short against San Miguel but the effort from Jaworski and his teammates left an indelible impression. These were my guys and Jaworski would be in the forefront.

"The Living Legend" Robert Jaworski delivers his speech
during his jersey retirement ceremony last Sunday.
(Image via InterAKTV/Paolo Papa)

What impressed me even more was that he was the player-coach AND he was in his forties! Playing against powerhouse teams like Hills Bros/Alaska, Tanduay/Purefoods, and San Miguel, I knew Ginebra wasn't necessarily the most talented squad but their fight and guile endeared me to them. It wasn't beneath Jawo to throw out an elbow or set a rough screen here and there. But that's what I loved about The Big J; he did whatever it took to keep his team in the game and lead them to victory.

It had been a while for Ginebra since their first championship in '86. And, again, Jaworski's teams weren't laden with the most talent. Which is why the 1988 All-Filipino Conference Championship felt so sweet. San Miguel always fielded a fantastic squad and yet Anejo Rum (Ginebra renamed during the 1988 season) beat them with a Romulo Mamaril buzzer-beater (after an assist by Jawo!) for a Finals berth. And while the Finals against Purefoods was controversial when they benched forever Jaworski rival Ramon Fernandez, they still had great personnel in their super rookies Jojo Lastimosa, Alvin Patrimonio, Jerry Codinera, and Glenn Capacio. But Anejo never quit. Their ability to stay in the game before stealing it at the end was uncanny. The Loyzaga Brothers never stopped making three-pointers. Jaworski and Dondon Ampalayo were outstanding. They won the conference mostly due to Jawo's leadership and amazing play on the court. And he was 42 at the time!

Before I left for the States (when I really stopped keeping track of the PBA), I watched the 1989 PBA All-Star Game. This was etched in my memory forever. Jaworski made the pass to Ramon Fernandez (who were still known to be feuding by that point) for the game-winning shot. After the game was over, Jaworski and Fernandez shook hands, reconciled, and put an end to their long feud.

The iconic jersey number 7 now hangs in the rafters of the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
(Image via InterAKTV/Paolo Papa)
This may all sound corny but watching Jaworski inspired me to make the best out of your tools, no matter the situation. Humanap ka nang paraan. Huwag kang sumuko. The Big J always found a way, despite his advanced age and his team not being as talented. That's what drew the fans to his Ginebra/Anejo squads; we can all relate to them in that way.

Again, I don't even know why it took this long, to be honest; I believe Jaworski's playing days have been over for more than a decade now. But it's better now than never. It was a lock for Jaworski's number 7 to be retired. It's well-deserved. He was an icon in Philippine basketball and his contributions to the sport in that country were enormous. His never-say-die attitude attracted many a fan and his play all over the court inspired a lot of people.

Robert "The Big J" Jaworski made Philippine basketball what it is today.
(Image via InterAKTV)

Thank you, Robert Jaworski, for helping me and many others get into the game of basketball. Without you, I don't think the country's craze for basketball would be the same. And without you, I wouldn't be playing the game and writing for an ESPN-affiliated blog. Salamat.

Rey Moralde is the founder of TheNoLookPass.Com and one of the writers for ForumBlueAndGold.Com, part of the ESPN TrueHoop Network. You can follow Rey on Twitter at @TheNoLookPass.

1 comment:

  1. The never say die of Robert Jaworski really touched the Filipinos heart in basketball. I missed to watch the game of Jawo when he was playing in Ginebra but after I read your blog and watched the event of his retirement, I can say that he is now belong to my favorite players in PBA.

    PBA News

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...