Sunday, April 3, 2011

Run for Home

(Photo by Roy Afable)

Globe, one of the Philippines top mobile communications provider held a running event for charity called Run 4 Home last March 27. Went to this event the next day after my coverage with the Jr. NBA Regionals at Xavier School in San Juan. This is the second running event I've covered and at least I had some energy (and sleep) for that day.

Storm Troopers ahoy!
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Runners getting ready.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

My sister was one of the runners for the 5k event so I was lucky enough to hitch a ride with her going the Bonifacio High Street way early in the morning. Once I got there, bolted straight to the nearest McDonald's for some quick bite. When I got to the venue the place was already packed with runners. I even saw some folks dressed as the Storm Troopers from Star Wars and a pack of happy bees. Obviously, they joined the 3K event and literally defined the term 'fun run'.

Rio Dela Cruz fires up the gun.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

(Photo by Roy Afable)

These run events won't be without celebrities. Spotted Ms. Miriam Quiambao there. Run 4 Globe is in partnership with Run Rio and had 3k, 5k, 10k, 15k and 21k events and there's no surprise that kids are getting into the sport. Even folks from all walks of life joined in the fun. The Nigerians of dominated each and every run event here in the Philippines. No wonder, they've been racking up medals in the Olympics just by simply running marathons and stuff. Props to them on that one.

(Photo by Roy Afable)

The Finish line.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

I've mentioned earlier that Run 4 Globe is a charity event, the beneficiaries were Gawad Kalinga, Habitat for Humanity, Haribon Foundation and Virlanie Foundation. All the proceeds go to the respective charitable groups mentioned.

Hosted by Mr. Noel Zarate and Mr. Anthony Suntay.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Absolute fun for these bees.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

While I still haven't fully understood why running has been big here in the Philippines, perhaps I'll join one just so I could comprehend why this sport has been all the rage to Filipinos. I had a great time covering the event. Kudos to Globe for organizing this awesome sporting event. Hope I get to cover more of their sports events in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...