Wednesday, August 31, 2011

No Boundaries

Mark Ong aka SBTG signs a sneaker for a fan.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Singaporean sneaker designer Mark Ong may be a rock star in the sneaker world but after visiting the Philippines twice, he instantly fell in love with the culture and Pinoy College Hoops.

When a person has a thing for collecting and or wearing sneakers, you’re called a sneakerhead.

That’s true to those who play the game of basketball. And a hoops country like the Philippines is no exception. Although most Filipinos balled on a pair of Flip-flops/sandals/rubber slippers in the streets, having a pair of nice basketball sneakers can give any player a boost of confidence.

When one rocks a pair of Nike’s or Jordan’s on the basketball court, everybody is gonna take notice. And if those kicks are rare, they’re gonna break a lot of necks for sure. Even those who are simply fans and never played hoops can get that kind of attention.

Three of the iconic sneakers designed by SBTG for the Deer Valley Titans launch.
(Photos by Roy Afable)

But what if you got bored with the color or style of your sneakers and want something one of kind?

That’s exactly what world renowned sneaker designer Mark Ong aka SBTG did – and he’s been making money out of it since.

“I've always wanted to have my own sneakers since I was a kid. Of course, I was young and I was never satisfied with the sneakers I owned. So, I was kinda like designing in my head sometimes until it was 1999, when I had a pair of old Nike's and I wanted a certain color with it that didn't exist. So I got some paint and started painting it.”

Introducing the Deer Valley Titans.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

With that amount of passion for designing his own kind kicks, he decided to join a sneaker custom contest for an online sneaker community site called NikeTalk in 2003 and won. He turned pro in the same year and the rest was history.

“That was in 2003. It was a custom competition -- it was a small one. Not a lot of people in the industry yet. So, I took part and I won.”

San Beda Red Lions big man Sudan Daniel spotted at Titan's 1st Anniversary Bash.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Besides doing designs for Nike, he's also working on custom kicks for other sneaker brands.

"I have done work for Nike, New Balance and DC so far. I'm currently working on Thrasher footwear for the Japanese domestic market."

(From left to right) Magic 89.9 jocks Aaron Atayde, Jessica Mendoza and Boom Gonzales
came to check out SBTG's custom sneaks.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

What makes him different (as a designer) are the camouflage-like patterns in his designs -- the ones that you see in Military unis but with a certain twist.

"My key influences -- aesthetically, would be Militarism, like camouflage. I took punk rock elements in sneakers, skateboarding and combined everything"

Since making an impact in the industry, his popularity grew globally. He’s obviously no stranger to Pinoy sneakerheads and he’s visited the country twice. But the first one literally gave him an idea of what Filipino culture was really about.

"I was in Manila last year (2010) with DC shoes. I was there for a sales conference and they threw a party to celebrate my capsule collection with them titled "The Circus of Mutants". We also held an art competition that was judged by me. It was good times!" Mark recalled.

"I was first exposed to Manila's warm culture and amazing food. I loved Dalandan and Bagoong!"

LinkMark Ong aka SBTG.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Recently, he collaborated with sneaker store Titan to create one of kind custom sneakers in line with the store’s first anniversary last August 5. That wasn’t the first time he and Titan did that kind of thing. He’s actually the one who designed the store’s logo.

"I'm proud to be chosen for that responsibility. It is a store that is changing the landscape of the country in terms of retail, sneakers and the hearts of Filipinos."

"Knowing how much it can impact a country in even the smallest way inspires me."

Who would’ve thought the idea behind Varsity Bones (for Deer Valley Titans) was from a popular anime Slam Dunk.

“The idea of it (Varsity Bones) came from when I watched Slam Dunk, the Japanese Anime. There was this scene where the team was practicing and then there was a bunch of gangsters into the basketball and created trouble. One of the gangsters used to be from the team (Hisashi Mitsui). So I kinda like, expanded that story -- the dark side of the team (Shohoku), into the concept I wanted to expect and I named it "Varsity Bones". It was kind of like a loose concept. We did the Varsity Bones shoe for Kobe Bryant 2 years ago. We wanted to carry on the legacy. So we did something on the Deer Valley Titans along the same lines.”

The Deer Valley Titans collection on display.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

What his fans don’t know is that he’s been watching some UAAP hoops during his recent visit in the country a few weeks ago. He became an instant fan of Ateneo Rookie Kiefer Ravena.

“I’m a fan of Kiefer (Ravena).” Mark said.

"Such court vision, he is so sure of every move – confident. His jumpshot and there was one rebound oh man! He was way up there!”

“I wish I was him. The peak of being such an amazing rookie, priceless.”

Like us Filipinos, SBTG is a hoops fan. His design influences are obviously connected to basketball. Upon seeing the skills of one Keifer Ravena, the Singapore based designer admitted the Blue Eagles reminded him of his days of playing hoops in high school.

“I have a strong connection with basketball. I love the game and the aesthetics around it. For example, I feel that it has got the most stylish uniforms in all sports. Basketball is superior in terms of style.”

“I was a basketball star in high school in my own standard as well. So I can’t help but really absorb myself in him during the game, oh man! It was so emotional.”

With that new found inspiration, it was a no-brainer for him to do something special since he became a fan of UAAP hoops.

“I am planning to design products around Ateneo and La Salle’s famous rivalry. That really inspires me and I have been thinking about that for a year or 2 already,” Mark revealed.

“I am not taking any sides just so you know. As I do not have that connection as deep as any Filipino, which makes me think that I would be able to design both side with integrity. However, using this as a theme to design inspires me because you guys have college culture that I have always wish I had in Singapore.”

Being a world-class designer, SGTG is taking his thing that he does quite seriously. No doubt, he’s committed to giving what quality designs. His mantra is plain and simple: “My commitment is to build great design.”

Because he’s a fan of UAAP basketball (and Keifer Ravena), he’s willing to book a plane to Manila to witness the most storied rivalry in the history of Phllippine College hoops.

“For a La Salle vs Ateneo game! Oh man! I will be going down there to absorb the vibes and to draw inspirations and hopefully capture its essences.”



Mark Ong aka SBTG is on Facebook and you can check out his online store for more of his world class sneaker customs and other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...