Friday, January 9, 2009

New year. New Blog.

Kids playing basketball in one of the streets in Manila.

Greetings everyone. This 2009, I'm proud to announce the new name of my blogsite that also features sneakers. Being a sneakerhead myself, I've always wanted to write stuff about kicks for a long time. Thus, I named my blog Air Tsinelas. Since I'm Filipino, I wanted my blogsite to have a bit of Filipino flavor in it, so to speak. The word 'tsinelas' (pronounced as chi-neh-las) is a Spanish/Filipino word for rubber slippers or sandals.

Filipinos love playing basketball in their tsinelas.

Since we Filipinos enjoy playing basketball in the streets, wearing rubber slippers are our best bet for street ball. Besides being cheap, it's comfortable and lightweight, obviously. The name "Air Tsinelas", a slang term of sorts, was coined way back in the early 90's and there was even a song/rap written about it. Named after the popular Air Jordan shoes, combining the word "air" and "tsinelas", hence the name. It's common practice for us Filipinos to ball on our favorite pair of slippers instead of basketball shoes. We'd ball on them until they get worn out. The tsinelas will always be a part of Filipino street ball.

This will be a rebirth of sorts for my Sports Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...