Sunday, June 5, 2011

Insanely Light

My test pair of the Adidas AdiZero Crazy Light.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

This is officially my first sneaker review ever. I’ma do my best to give you my insights on Adidas’s latest sneakers, the AdiZero Crazy Light. I got a chance to try on these last May 29 during the sneaker’s official unveiling. From the images I saw on the internet prior to its release, I was really skeptical about it at first. Aesthetically speaking, the 2 colorways (the Sharp Blue/White and Lead/Run White/Electric Green colorways) released are too loud for me but it does look promising indeed. The Derrick Rose PE of the shoe is the best one in my book.

Upon stepping on the court, the first thing I noticed was how absolutely light it was. The shoe came with 2 insoles: the Crazy Light and Crazy Comfort. The Crazy Light insoles were purposely already in the shoe. Speaking of comfort, I had a few issues with it. Often times, I have no problems with lacing up on kicks that is narrow shaped but this one somehow took a toll on my right foot. I felt uncomfortable with it, I literally had to loosen it up a bit just so I could properly walk with those on. The sneaker review I read somewhere was right about one thing: these sneaks are definitely made for folks with narrow feet. At least, no problems on the toe box whatsoever.

Lookin' fresh inside the box.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

After getting used to the shoe’s comfort on my right particularly on the medial side of my foot, I didn’t experience any amount of discomfort when it was my turn to play some ball. The minimalist approach of the kicks made me wonder if it has enough support for the ankles. Thankfully it did. And yes, the AdiZero Crazy Lights are literally, crazy light! While I was running around (gingerly) on the court it sure felt like I was wearing absolutely nothing. The breathable Sprint Web upper really kept my feet cool with every stride.

I’ve always been amazed at how Adidas sneaks with Adiprene soles having great traction whether it’s for basketball (on concrete or hardwood), running or training. As expected, the AdiZero Crazy Light’s soles are the best, in my opinion. Traction was spot on and I’m pretty sure most of the peeps that balled on these would notice as well. The soles on the kicks may look like these can be used for streetballing but these are strictly for parquet floor only.

Sprint Frame system on your feet.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Playing on them during the sneaker’s launch was great, so I decided to do one last test on them before writing my review. Wore them kicks (with Crazy Comfort insoles) out for a stroll at the mall about a few days ago. Lucky for me it didn’t rain at the time. I had my pair of Adidas thin socks on (I had 3 pairs of them that came with the sneakers) just to see if I won’t have any issues in terms of comfort.

My feet got a better feel of its breathable upper because of the thin socks I wore. But then again, I figured that I’m better off with thick socks on. While I felt no pain on the sides of my right foot, it was uncomfortable to walk on them with thin socks on. The Crazy Comfort insoles were just mad comfy with each step I make but thin socks I wore somehow killed the overall comfort I was looking for.

"Crazy Light" indeeed.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

So, what’s the verdict? I have to admit these are incredibly and insanely the lightest pair of basketball sneakers I’ve ever worn in my entire life. At 9.8 ounces, it’s simply amazing. Honestly, it’s my first ever pair of Adidas basketball kicks. I’ve balled on Adidas sneaks but never owned one. Gotta thank Adidas Philippines for that one, by the way. Yup, they f'n light, they dope and they mine.

The breathable Sprint Web upper definitely kept my feet cool, the traction and cushioning of the shoe were on point. No problems with the support for the ankles despite the shoe’s ultra light material. Quality of the sneakers looks great as well.

Design wise, it does look absolutely light. Maybe that’s the reason why the Sharp Blue/White color way is the first to be released because color blue represents air. Speaking of the color ways, they do look kinda loud but they're not that bad either. Not a fan of colorful sneakers but I’ll make an exception with these. They actually look dope in jeans.

The Sprint Web technology is what makes the AdiZero Crazy Lights, err... LIGHT!
(Photo by Roy Afable)

The only issue I have with the AdiZero Crazy Lights is that they’re made specifically for people with narrow feet. When the Black/White color way drops on August I’ma cop a pair and go half-size or better yet, one size bigger than usual. These sneakers are pretty much guard-friendly. I think those who play the 3 or the small forward could very ball on these as well. Not sure about big guys that play the 4 or 5 though.

Overall, the AdiZero Crazy Lights are definitely the lightest basketball sneakers to date. Hands down, Adidas did a great job creating these extremely light kicks without cutting down on comfort, cushioning, support and style. No doubt about it.

If these aren’t the lightest sneakers, you might as well just get a pair flip-flops while you’re at it.

Pros: Insanely light, really breathable upper, great cushioning and traction, provides good support for the ankles

Cons: Not suitable for ballers with wide feet, needs a white based color way, only made for hardwood floor

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...