Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Muggsy Bogues experience Part 1

NBA Legend Muggsy Bogues having a chat with Jr. NBA Coach Sefu Bernard
during the first day of the National Training Camp at UP Diliman.
(Photo by Roy Afable)
I haven't been blogging for quite a while now. When I say blogging, I mean writing my thoughts on sports and then some. Been really busy covering sports events for InterAKTV and it's pretty much a luxury for me to update this here blog of mine. Let's just say this is my first official blog entry since... uhm, I dunno.  So on that note, here's what went down on the first day of NBA Legend Muggsy Bogues' visit here in the Philippines.

One of the kids coordinating with one of his teammates during the Jr. NBA National Training Camp.
(Photo by Roy Afable)
This is not the first time I've been invited to cover a Jr. NBA event or any NBA event here in Manila for that matter. So far, last year was the best one for me. Having met and interviewed one of Michael Jordan's legendary teammates with the Chicago Bulls Luc Longley was the best Jr. NBA experience for me so far. This time around, the shortest player to ever play in the L is here in the Philippines for Jr. NBA. The 5-foot-3 NBA Legend is town for the Jr. NBA National Training Camp and All-Stars selection.

Speaking of the National Training camp, about 50 kids from all over the country made the list for a once in  a lifetime experience with the NBA Legend. On a hot Saturday afternoon, Muggsy didn't mind the heat while interacting with the kids during the camp held at the University of Philippines gymnasium in Diliman, Quezon city. Though I was supposed to interview him that day but I kinda missed my chance. Coming from Las Pinas going to UP is no easy task, mind you. At least on Sunday, I'll have my opportunity to have an interview with Muggsy.

NBA Legend Muggsy Bogues with the Jr. NBA coaches.
(Photo by Roy Afable)
Decided to make the most of my stay at the UP gym taking photos of the camp. One of my missions there was to have a photo with the NBA Legend. The night before the event, I had to look for a Muggsy Bogues in my stash of old NBA cards. Couldn't find one so a photo-op was the only option for me. While taking photos of the Jr. NBA campers doing their drills, I was just fascinated of how tall the kids are. The enthusiasm from them is really something and I can tell Bogues was really happy to see that as well. I even saw play a quick one-on-one game with one of the Jr. NBA campers just for the heck of it. I must say though, he-can-still-play.

So my opportunity came when the campers went on a short break. Mr. Quinito Henson walked up to him along with his crew from the Philippine Star. He was signing sir Quinito's magazine --which I dunno the name of the particular magazine it was. After that, sir Quinito had his photo-op with Muggsy and that gave me the opportunity as well. Thankfully, Muggsy was very accommodating and obliged for a photo-op with me. Mission accomplished.

Yup, Muggsy Bogues still got it.
(Photo by Roy Afable)
It was nice to have a photo with him but I wasn't done yet. I've mentioned that I didn't have a Muggsy Bogues card for him to sign, so I did the next best thing -- I had him sign my NBA press kit. Now, that's how you end your coverage there. Had lunch before heading to San Juan Arena for the Filoil Flying V Preason Cup games.

Game face on for Muggsy Bogues and Team Muggsy for the inaugural Jr. NBA Alumni All-Star game 
on Sunday against Team Jolas coached by PBA Legend Jojo Lastimosa.
(Photo by Roy Afable)
That summed up my experience with NBA Legend Muggsy Bogues -- for now. On Sunday, he'll be coaching his team -- Team Muggsy that is -- against Team Jolas for the inaugural Jr. NBA Alumni All-Star game at the SM Mall of Asia Music Hall, 12 noon. A lot of stuff happening on his final day here in the Philippines so I suggest you drop by the venue this Sunday. For sure he'll be signing autograph for fans there and y'all will see the future of Philippines.

Will post my thoughts on part 2 of my experience with Muggsy Bogues -- I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...