Sunday, March 13, 2011

Back to 1998

Retro Air Jordan XIII All-Star/Playoffs on display at Titan Ronac.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

I've waited for the release of these Retro Air Jordan XIII All Star/Playoffs here in the Philippines. Had the OG's back in 1998 -- my first pair of J's that I ever owned -- I simply needed a fresh pair. I didn't get the original box 'coz the J's were in a balikbayan box when a relative came home to the country all the way from Chicago.

Michael Jordan first wore the Air Jordan XIII's (Black/White/Red color way) at the 1998 NBA All-Star Game.
(Image via SportsIllustrated.cnn.com)

While I may have missed the release of the J's last February 26 and the chance of meeting Jordan Brand Designer Gentry Humprey at Titan Ronac, somehow the Sneaker Gods listened to my prayers (sort of). I dropped by Titan Ronac after covering the UAAP 73 Volleyball Finals at Fil-Oil Arena which is just around the corner. I didn't bring my cash for the J's at the time 'coz I figured there were no pairs left. Luckily, they still have a pair left with my size.

I told the folks at Titan Ronac that I'd come back for them J's a week later. While there were no guarantees that the pair would still be there in that store. It crossed my mind to cop them at one of the Nike stores in the metro. I asked around but most of the stores didn't have any Playoff 13's left. So Titan Ronac was my only chance.

MJ rocked the Air Jordan XIII's in the 1998 NBA Playoffs.
(Image via SportsIllustrated.cnn.com)

Saturday came, I sent a text message to one of the staff of Titan Ronac if the J's was still on stock. Miraculously, they still have the J's (of my size) in stock. I told the staff member that I'd pick it up late in the afternoon.

I got to the store 30 minutes before closing time. I quickly made my transaction but had to leave my pair at the store for a couple of days. The reason, I had to cover a running event early in the morning the next day. I didn't wanna bring it around with me while covering the event so I had to make the ultimate sacrifice. Since it was already paid, I know my J's were in good hands.

My favorite pair of J's.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Though I wasn't able to pick it up after the running event (I didn't have enough energy to stay awake until 2 pm) so I decided to pick up my kicks on Tuesday (Titan stores are closed on Mondays).

Lookin' fresh.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Tuesday came and finally, my J's came home with me. Loved my pair so much I took some time out to take photos of my beloved J's before rocking them one of these days. It was my very first purchase at Titan -- Ronac branch that is. I'm looking forward to my next purchase where at the Fort branch or Ronac.

Air Jordan XI Concord on December 2011 anyone?

1 comment:

  1. For more info about NBA Playoffs 2011, Winners, Qualified Teams visit only altiusdirectory.com

    www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nba-playoffs.php

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...