Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Run United 2011

Follow the directions.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Marathons have been the rage here in the Philippines. These running events have been going around since 2009 I believe. The sport is pretty much a common event in the Olympics and I've always wondered why it's getting all the attention as of late. Curious, I decided to cover a running event last March 6 -- Run United 1 2011, organized by Unilab Active Health and Run Rio.

I literally had to stay up all night just so I wouldn't miss it. I have to thank a food festival of sorts happening somewhere in Bonifacio Global City and the 24-hour fast food joint nearby. While I was having my coffee fix at this fast food resto, I got a chance to speak to a couple of participants of the event.

Andi Manzano and Anthony Suntay hosting the event.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

They happen to be getting some light breakfast for the run. I introduced myself a sports writer and asked them a couple of questions about what I need to know about, well, running. While having a good convo with them, it seems they weren't the only ones that wanted a quick bite for the event. According to the participants (both signed up for the 10k event), stamina and endurance is the name of the game in running. While it is a "running" sport, you actually don't have to run really fast just to win the race. It was all about pacing and conserving your energy in order keep up and finish the race.

After stocking up on food and caffeine, I went straight to where the event was happening at 5 am. Talk about real early. I was just as excited to cover my first ever running event for this here sports blog of mine.

Wigs are legal in a marathon.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

When I got there, the runners were all gathered up just in time for the gun start. Made my way to the sidelines to get a good spot for taking pictures. They had a little warm up exercise before they begin the race courtesy of Fitness First. The 21k race commenced upon gun fire then the 10k was up next and followed by the 5k run. Did I mention that there some 8-12 year old kids that joined the 10k and 5k events? Now, I did.

About an hour later, the sun was already up and I see runners making their way to the finish line one by one. Soon enough, the numbers grew by the minute. I even saw one of the runners in a Spider-man costume! Guess he joined the race just for the heck of it.

Runners making their way to the Finish Line.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

At exactly 6 am, the Unilab Active Health village officially opened to the public. The village had booths catering not only to kids and adults but to senior citizens as well. How cool is that? Kids had fun playing some Nintendo Wii games while some shot some hoops to score some prizes. Not to be outdone, the adults and senior citizens had their share of fun and games as well.

Even kids can join marathons these days.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

I thought the Unilab Active Health village was in a small area, I didn't realize that I only covered just a part of the village. The place was huge and packed with people. Right in the middle of the village, kids (along with their parents/guardians) gathered around for the 500m dash for the little ones 6 years old and below. I didn't stay for the event as I was determined to check out the entire place.

Kids playing video games while waiting for the 500m dash
to start in one of the booths at the Unilab Active Health Village.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

Celebrities are rather normal in sporting events. Spotted Miss Universe 4th runner-up Venus Raj competing the in the 5k run. Wonder if she finished the race. Nevertheless I saw her in the village. There were some people getting a photo-op with Ms. Raj. No surprise there.

Kids (and Parents) gathering up for the 500m dash.
(Photo by Roy Afable)

I didn't stay long for the awarding ceremony as the caffeine in my system was already wearing off. Simply put, I was getting sleepy. And that was my cue to officially end my coverage of Run United 1. Props to Unilab and Run Rio for organizing such a great sporting event. Had a blast.

Looking for to covering my next running event and hopefully I get to finish the entire thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...