Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Dean inspired me to write

An undated photo of the writer with "The Dean" Quinito Henson.

I've been an artist since I discovered my talent/gift in drawing at age 10. From that day I started doodling, I then wanted to become a comic book artist. When I reached college, I would soon discover that I have another talent that I didn't realize I had it in me.

All it took was stumbling upon a sports column of a leading newspaper. Then I recognized the writer's name and photo on the column. It was the same person who was on a program years ago that aired NBA games on local TV dubbed as "NBA on GMA." And that person was non other than "The Dean" Quinito Henson.

One of the most respected sports analysts in the country, he was given that moniker for his great knowledge in sports. As a journalist, his most popular subjects he writes are on basketball and boxing.

I was fascinated on how he wrote stories about the NBA. Back then, my family was subscribed to the newspaper publication he was writing for. My parents noticed that I wasn't just reading the comics page, I was already reading the sports section. I've always been a fan of basketball but that somewhat started a spark in wanting to be more passionate about it. Since then, it became a daily habit and I couldn't wait to read Mr. Henson's next article in his column "Sporting Chance."

One day, I chanced upon an ad of Grant Hill's upcoming visit in Manila while reading the sports section. It was actually around 1997, if I recall correctly, that was Hill's first visit here in the country at the time. Grant Hill was then playing for the Detroit Pistons. I was so excited of having a rare opportunity to meet an NBA player in the flesh. Good thing the ad printed the schedule of events of his visit in the country. Thanks to some PR at the Fila boutique in Glorietta back then, They told me the hotel Grant Hill will be staying in.

Days before the event, I prepared for his visit, I did an artwork of Grant Hill and I was lucky enough to own a pair of Grant Hill's kicks. The joy of having finished the artwork was priceless and I realized it was the only way of getting Grant Hill's rare autograph on my kicks. I couldn't let the opportunity pass, of course.

The big day came. I left my house early on a Sunday morning and headed straight to Makati. As soon as I got there, I walked all the way to his hotel and noticed the security wasn't all that tight. It was breeze getting in. I then proceeded to the 2nd floor where the conference room was I believe. To my surprise, I wasn't the only one waiting for him there in hallway. There was some fans of his there, too.

Some people noticed the artwork I had with me. I then sat on a couch adjacent to the hallway and hotel's lift. Someone finally asked me about my artwork. I then told her that as artwork of G-Hill and I was gonna give it to him and have him sign my kicks, I showed her my GH sneakers, of course. I was glad she liked my work. And she wasn't the only one who noticed my gift for G-Hill.

I ran into sports media personalities Chino Trinidad and Anthony Suntay. They used to host a defunct magazine show of the PBA called "Hot Stuff" and they glanced upon my framed piece of art. I told them I was gonna give it to Grant Hill and I wanted his autograph on my kicks. They were raving how dope my artwork was and that it was a unique way of getting his autograph. I thanked them for their awesome compliments.

Then I saw Grant Hill's dad Calvin Hill who played for NFL's Dallas Cowboys somewhere in the hallway. Some people were lining up to get his autograph. I hesitated at first on getting his autograph but then I figured it would get his dad (Calvin Hill) on shoe and Grant Hill on the other. The plan went well. Minutes later, G-Hill was spotted walking in to the elevator. The fans ran to take a glance at the NBA player. I was glad I saw him from about 6 feet away but I wasn't to get close to him. Some were lucky enough to got close to him and got his autograph. I didn't lose hope after that.

I bumped into Fila Executive Silvano Merlatto (I hope I got his name right. I forgot were I kept the calling card he gave me years ago) and I told him I wanted to give my artwork and have his autograph on my GH shoe. He said he couldn't guarantee the chances of me giving my stuff to him personally but he can guarantee that my artwork can reach G-Hill and have my shoe autographed. So I handed to him my artwork and shoe to the executive and told me to wait for him in the lobby near the hallway. I figured I could trust him and waited for him.

As I was walking along the hallway, I saw a tall man in a suit talking to another media guy. I went closer and checked who it was. My eyes popped when I found out who it was. That tall man wearing a nice suit was "The Dean" himself, Mr. Quinito Henson. The opportunity of finally meeting the columnist that gave me a reason love sports was right in front of me. I walked up to him and introduced myself and told him I'm a fan of his work. I didn't have a camera with me at the time but lucky for me, there was a nice photographer who took of a photo me with Mr. Henson.

After the rare snapshot, we said our good byes as he left and went downstairs. The nice photographer asked for my address and told me he'd mail me the photo as soon as it was developed. I then thanked the photographer and looked forward for the photo (see image above the article). "The Dean" was a very nice person after all. He didn't mind having a short chat and photo op with a kid like me at the time.

Minutes later, Mr. Merlatto informed me of the good news that G-Hill loved my artwork and lo and behold, the other shoe of my GH kicks was finally signed. I was so happy my mission was finally accomplished. My kicks looked more dope than ever. Days later, there was a mail for me and I finally got the photo I so waited for.

Years later I would lose the GH kicks signed by both C-Hill and G-Hill as I wasn't able to preserved my precious pair of sneakers and I didn't even take a picture of it when it was signed at the time. Camera phones weren't available in the market at the time and being not so familiar about shoe care and maintenance, the sneakers didn't last that long. Since my sneakers were signed I never wore them again. The only memory I have of that even was the photo me and "The Dean." But the experience with Mr. Henson will never be forgotten thus the dream of wanting to be like him soon began.

I first college I attended right after high school didn't have a school publication. So I transferred to a university to continue my studies there and hoped write for a student publication bet never got the opportunity. Then went to an international school that already offers college courses and it wasn't that far from where I live.

The school already had a student publication for elementary and high school but the college department didn't have one yet. Fortunately, the college department then decided to put up a student publication. The dream of finally fulfilling the dream of writing for a publication was already at hand.

I became one of the first members and founders of "The Collegiate Mover" but I started my published my first article on the second issue. The Editor-in-Chief forgot to contact during the summer break and the I wasn't able to do an article on the first issue. Having my first article published was awesome. Seeing my name in the editorial staff box as a sports editor and head artist was even more dope. Then the rest was all history.

I honed my skills in that international college for almost 4 years and it was definitely a learning experience for me. Since then, writing about sports become my passion, pride and joy. The road to becoming like my idol Mr. Quinito Henson was realized.

As I type this, I still dream of writing for a well-known newspaper/magazine publication. I started blogging 3 years ago but I just started blogging about sports just a week ago. I'm more comfortable writing about sports rather than other topics like politics, business, features, to name a few. Basketball is something I can write about in my sleep. Ok, so maybe that's pushing it a little bit, but it's the only thing I love to write about.

I know it's going to be a long shot and I have a lot to learn to be as good "The Dean" but I'll work and use that as an inspiration. Of course, becoming one of the top comic book artists in the Philippines is not off my list. That is my first love, so to speak. Wanting to become a writer is a different story. I love both writing and drawing but my passion is more into writing. And that dream of making a mark in a newspaper/magazine publication has yet to be fulfilled.

Thanks to the internet and the power of 'blogging,' I can now hone my skills as a writer even more as I can write as many articles on sports as I want. The only thing is I have to update my blog all the time. I now I have two blogs in the net and keeping each blog updated is not an easy task. But I'm having fun with it, actually. Aside from this blog, I'm also blogging for NBA.com's Fan Voice where NBA fans can now interact with other NBA fans from all over the world. So far, I'm the only fan representing the Philippines. You can view my NBA Fan Voice blog here or just click the link on the side bar of my blogsite.

The truth is, the only person I wanna thank is Mr. Quinito Henson for making me realize the potential that I have in me as a writer. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have this kind of passion for sports and I wouldn't be writing this blog at all. Honestly, I really wish I could be his apprentice anyhow (if there's such a thing for writers, that is). I just hope to meet him again one of these days.

And if that opportunity does indeed come, I'll introduce myself again and simply say "thank you" for inspiring me and bringing out the sports writer in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...